Too often we find ourselves fighting trolls and people both on social media and sometimes in real life. Most of the time though, we are not able to engage in any form of real debate and discussion. In this blog and podcast, we talk about how to meaningfully discuss and properly debate in any situation, especially on social media.
- Be kind
- First, be kind when discussing or debating something no matter where you are (real life or on social media).
- Those who are rude do not put themselves in a good position for debate or discussion.
- First think if it is worth engaging
- Someone who is intentionally being rude or attacking is unlikely to benefit anyone
- Discussions and debates only real work if people come in with an open mind
- Anatol Rapaport’s Rules
- You should attempt to re-express your targetâ€™s position so clearly, vividly, and fairly that your target says, â€œThanks, I wish Iâ€™d thought of putting it that way.
- You should list any points of agreement (especially if they are not matters of general or widespread agreement).
- You should mention anything you have learned from your target.
- Only then are you permitted to say so much as a word of rebuttal or criticism.
- Paul Graham’s Hierarchy of Disagreement as a way of targeting arguments and goals
- WRAITEC to form an argument
- Why? – seek clarity (see Rapaport’s Rules)
- Reasons – understand how claims are being supported
- Assumptions – what is being taken for granted (everyone must agree)?
- Inferences – if we assume this then what follows?
- Truth – understanding what is implied if we assume something to be true
- Examples/Evidence – have evidence and examples that support the claim
- Counter-Examples – offering evidence that does not support what is claimed
Let us know what you think by giving us feedback here in the comments section or contacting us on Twitter or Facebook. Remember to look us up on Libsyn and on iTunes. If you have any questions you can also comment below, email at email@example.com, or send a message from the page. We hope to talk to everyone again soon. â€‹Until then, continue to provide total care everywhere.
Powered by WPeMatico